The trees are up, the lights are twinkling, and the tinsel is out in full force. Christmas is a wonderful time of year, but it can also be a dangerous time for your furry friend. Here are a few safety tips to help look after your dog during the holidays.
Christmas Trees Are A Hazard For Dogs
One of the most common dangers for dogs at Christmas time is the Christmas tree. Dogs are curious creatures, and they love to explore.
Live Christmas Tree
If you have a real Christmas tree, make sure it is placed in a room where your dog cannot reach it. A curious pet might topple over the Christmas tree in their quest to get to the shiny holiday decorations.
Pine needles from a real Christmas tree can also be dangerous for dogs if ingested. If you have a real tree, make sure to sweep up any fallen needles regularly.
Christmas tree water can also be dangerous for dogs. There may be small items that are choking risks or pine needles in the water.
Also, many people add chemicals to their tree water to help keep the tree fresh, but these chemicals can be harmful to your pet if ingested. Keep an eye on your dog around the tree and make sure they don’t drink any of the water.
Fake Christmas Tree
If you opt for an artificial tree, make sure it is made from non-toxic materials and that it is securely anchored to the floor or wall to prevent your dog from knocking it over.
Your Dog Thinks Christmas Decorations Are For Playing With
Christmas lights are another hazard for dogs. Dogs are attracted to the shining holiday lights and will sometimes try to chew on them. This can be dangerous as your dog could get electrocuted. Keep an eye on your dog around electrical cords and make sure they do not have access to them.
Broken ornaments are another hazard for dogs. If your dog knocks over the Christmas tree, breakable ornaments can fall and break, which can cause possible injuries to your pet, and people. Choose non-breakable ornaments for your tree, or make sure that any breakable decorations are placed out of reach of your dog.
Candles are also a hazard for our furry friends. Dogs are curious creatures and may want to investigate the flickering flame of a candle. Never leave candles burning unattended, and make sure your dog cannot reach them.
Gift wrap is another hazard for dogs. If ingested, gift wrap can cause an intestinal blockage. So if you’re wrapping gifts with ribbon or bows, be sure to keep them out of reach of your pup.
Also, avoid using decorative items such as tinsel or homemade decorations made of aluminum foil on your tree. Tinsel is very tempting for dogs to eat but can also cause serious health problems if swallowed.
Presents Aren’t Just For People
Everybody loves getting presents at Christmas, including dogs! However, you need to be careful about what kinds of presents you give your dog.
Avoid giving your dog anything with small parts that they could choke on, such as toys with button eyes or squeakers.
Also avoid giving your dog anything that they could tear apart and ingest, such as rawhide bones or pig’s ears. Stick to safe toys such as rope toys or Kongs stuffed with treats.
Chocolate is a big no-no for dogs as it contains a chemical called theobromine which can be toxic to them. It’s important that you keep it away from them at all times—not just during the holidays! If your dog does manage to eat some chocolate, look out for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, increased urination, tremors, and seizures. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Your Dog Shouldn’t Eat Everything On The Table
We all know that feeling when we’re sitting at the dinner table and our furry family members are looking at us with those big puppy eyes, begging for a scrap from our plate. It can be tempting to give in but resist the urge!
Many human foods are harmful to dogs. Other foods to steer clear of include candy, raisins, grapes, onions, garlic, avocado, baked goods, and anything else that might be harmful to your dog if consumed in large quantities.
While a little bit of turkey or ham here and there won’t hurt your pup, too much rich food can cause stomach upset problems like vomiting and diarrhea. So put away the leftovers and stick to their regular diet.
Be sure to keep all food out of reach of your pup so that they don’t get into something they shouldn’t.
Put Away The Poisons
Common holiday plants like poinsettias, holly berries, and mistletoe may be festive, but they can also be poisonous to pets if ingested. So while you’re decking the halls this holiday season, be sure to put seasonal plants out of reach of your furry friend.
Do Dogs Get Stressed At Christmas?
Just like us humans, dogs can get overwhelmed by large groups of unknown guests or loud noises (think: fireworks). If you notice your pup starting to get antsy or agitated during one of your holiday parties, it may be time to call it a night and get him or her settled into their bed or a quiet room.
Ensure that your dog has proper identification tags on his or her collar, including your current mobile number.
Christmas is a wonderful time of year, but it’s important to be mindful of potential dangers for your furry friend. By following these simple holiday safety tips, you can help ensure that your dog has a happy and safe holiday season! Knowing that your furry friend is safe and happy this holiday season!