If you’re looking for an easy way to hang plates on your wall without using nails, then look no further!
If you’re a renter or you don’t want to damage your wall with a nail, hanging plates with Command Strips is a fantastic alternative. They will allow you to hang your plates securely and without any damage to your walls. In this tutorial, we will show you how to use these strips to hang your plates in just a few simple steps.
Can You Hang Plates With Command Strips?
Command strips are a type of adhesive that is used for hanging pictures, but did you know that you can also use them to hang plates? That’s right – these handy little strips can be used for all sorts of things, and they’re super easy to use.
What Are Command Strips Made Of?
The strips are made of a type of adhesive that is strong enough to hold your plates in place, but gentle enough that it won’t damage your walls. It is a pressure-sensitive foam tape with a stretchable backing.
How Do Command Picture Hanging Strips Work?
The strips work by holding your plates in place using a strong adhesive. The strips are applied to the back of your plate, and then they are pressed against the wall. The pressure from the adhesive will hold your plate in place.
How Long Do Command Picture Hanging Strips Last?
When used properly, Command Picture Hanging Strips will last forever indefinitely. Keep in mind that they are single-use products and after they are removed from the wall they need to be discarded.
How Strong Are Command Strips?
For their size, Command strips are designed to hold a surprising load, so they should be more than strong enough to hold your plates in place.
How Many Command Strips To Use?
The number of strips you’ll need to use will depend on the size and weight of your plates. For smaller plates, you can get away with using just one pair of strips. For larger or heavier plates, you might need to use two or three pairs.
How Much Weight Can Command Strips Hold?
You’ll need to check the Command strip’s weight limit on each product before making a decision.
There are four different sizes available: small, medium, large, and X-large for heavy plates or platters. The size of the strip will depend on the weight of your plate. For example, if you’re hanging a small plate that weighs less than a pound, then you would use a small strip. If you’re not sure which size to use, go with a larger size. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
For Command Picture Hanging Strips, these are the weight limits:
- Small – 4 wall adhesive strip pairs hold 4 pounds; maximum plate size is 8 x 10 inches
- Medium – 2 wall adhesive strip pairs hold 6 pounds, the maximum plate size is 11 inches x 17 inches
- Large – 4 wall adhesive strip pairs hold 16 pounds; the maximum plate size is 24 x 36 inches.
- Extra Large – 4 wall adhesive strip pairs hold 20 pounds; maximum plate size is 24 x 36 inches
There are also Command strip picture hanging selection packs for the situation where you have different sizes of plates to be hung. For example:
How To Hang Plates On The Wall With Command Strips
Let’s get into the nitty-gritty of how to actually use hang the plates. Here are the steps you need to follow for a successful job:
Decide Which Command Strips You Need
The first step is to choose the right size strip for your plates.
- Consider the weight of the plates – make sure that the strips you use can support the weight of your plates.
- Size of the plates – make sure that the strips will fit on the back of your plate.
- The number of plates – depending on how many plates you’re hanging, you may need more than one strip per plate.
Plan Your Display Of Decorative Plates
Plates come in all shapes and sizes and can really make a meal look special. But hanging plates on your wall can be tricky. You want to make sure they’re evenly spaced and that they look good together.
That’s where paper templates come in handy. You can keep moving the templates around until you find the perfect arrangement. Once you’re happy with the way they look, you can start attaching the plates to the wall.
- To create a paper template, simply trace the outline of your plate onto a piece of paper.
- Cut out each template.
- Using painter’s tape, attach the templates to the wall. https://amzn.to/3Rdtrfy
- Move the templates around until you’re happy with how the display looks.
- Now you have a “map” of where to hang your plate or plates on the wall.
Useful Tips: What To Consider Before Using Command Strip Plate Hangers
To ensure that you’ll be happy with your plate display, there are a few things you need to take into consideration before you get started:
- The strips are for use indoors only.
- If it’s really cold or hot inside your house, wait until another day. They should only be installed if the temperature is between 50 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you’re renovating, don’t install the strips until at least 7 days after painting. The paint needs to be cured so the adhesive will set.
- Don’t hang favorite or priceless items that can’t be replaced.
- Don’t hang strips over a bed.
- Don’t hang strips on wallpaper, fabric, or soft surfaces. They can be used on smooth surfaces, such as painted walls, finished wood, painted concrete cinder blocks, laminate, glass, metal, and tiles
- The biggest tip: follow each step in the Command strip instructions for a plate that stays on the wall.
Preparing For Hanging The Plates
- Make sure each plate is squeaky clean and completely dry.
- Begin by cleaning the wall where you’ll be placing the strips. This step is important because it will help the strips adhere better. Clean the wall surface with rubbing alcohol. Don’t use household cleaners or water because they will leave a residue behind.
- You’re hanging the plate only, so remove any hanging hardware or other extras from your plate.
The Hanging Process
- Pick up a pair of strips. Separate them by tearing them apart; do not bend them.
- Click the two strips together with the liners on the outside. Remember this sound, this will help you identify when the plate is secure at the end of the process.
- Remove one of the liners.
- Stick the unlined side onto the plate.
- If you need to use more Command strips due to the weight or size of the plate, place one set at the top and another set about halfway down.
- Press firmly for 30 seconds on the top set.
- Press firmly for 30 seconds on the lower set.
The base strips are now on the wall. We need to temporarily move the plate to finish their application.
- Lift the plate off from the bottom and peel it off the wall.
- Press each strip on the wall firmly for 30 seconds. Press your finger, lift, and repeat until the whole strip has been pressed.
- The adhesive will take an hour to bond.
- Align the strips on your plate with the strips on the wall.
- Press, and listen for the sound of clicks for each set of strips.
- Stand back and admire your handiwork!
How To Remove Plates Hung With Command Strips
- Grip the plate from the bottom to peel it away from the wall.
- SLOWLY pull the release tape STRAIGHT DOWN at least 15 inches until it comes free. Do NOT pull it away from the wall towards you.
- The remaining strip will now lift off the wall.
How To Remove Command Hooks When The Release Strip Breaks
- Slide dental floss behind the strip at the top.
- Gently move the floss from side to side in a downwards direction.
- The top section will fall off the wall.
- Stretch the remaining strip by pulling it STRAIGHT DOWN, and it will be released from the wall.
Command Strips FAQ
Here are some other frequently asked questions about using Command strips.
Command Strips: Which Side Goes On Wall?
It’s a common question and a valid one at that. After all, if you’re going to use something to stick things to your wall, you want to make sure you’re doing it correctly. So, which side of the Command Strip goes on the wall?
The short answer is: it doesn’t matter! That’s because both sides of the strip are adhesive. So whether you put the sticky side on the wall or your plate, it will still adhere.
As I understand it, previous versions in some regions had a “wall” side with a black sticker. However, the current version of Command Picture Hangers is simply a white strip with adhesive on both sides.
Why Are Command Strips Not Sticking?
If your Command strips are not sticking, it is likely due to one of the following reasons:
- The surface is not clean: Make sure you clean the surface with rubbing alcohol before applying the strips.
- You used water or a household cleaner to prepare the wall: This will leave a residue behind that will prevent the strips from becoming properly attached. You need to use rubbing alcohol.
- The wall is wet: If the wall is damp or wet, the strips will not stick.
- You tried to apply the strips to wallpaper, fabric, or soft surfaces: The strips will not stick to these surfaces.
- You tried to apply the strips too soon after painting the wall: The paint needs to cure for at least 7 days before the strips will stick.
- The temperature is too cold or too hot: Command strips will not stick if the temperature is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit or above 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You didn’t press firmly enough: Be sure to press each strip firmly for 30 seconds after applying it.
- You didn’t wait long enough: The adhesive needs time to bond, so be sure to wait an hour after applying the strips before hanging anything on them.
- You didn’t hear the “click” sound: This sound indicates that the strip is properly secured. If you didn’t hear it, the strip may not be secure.
Why Are Command Strips So Expensive?
If you’ve ever wondered why Command products are so expensive, we can help you. Here’s a breakdown of the cost:
- The strips are made of plastic and adhesive.
- The strips are produced via an injection molding process. This process involves melting the plastic and injecting it into a mold. It’s a very precise and labor-intensive process.
- After the strips are molded, they need to be cooled and then trimmed.
- Once the strips are trimmed, they’re ready to be packaged and shipped.
All of these factors contribute to the high cost of Command strips. So, if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative, you might want to try another type of adhesive strip. But if you need the strength and durability that Command strips offer, then be prepared to pay a bit more.
Command strips are a great way to hang plates on your wall. They’re strong, durable, and easy to use. But they’re also expensive. So if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative, you might want to try another type of adhesive strip. But if you need the strength and durability that Command strips offer, then be prepared to pay a bit more.
There are endless possibilities for how you can decorate with your plates with Command strips. Be creative and have fun!