A front door at Christmas looks a bit sad without a wreath. Making a wreath can seem a bit daunting, but this tutorial about making a Christmas wreath with mesh ribbon is pretty basic.
Anybody who can handle scissors could do this project. There’s lots of twisting, fluffing, and folding, and nothing too complicated.
The result is very colorful and effective and it looks to me like a store-bought wreath.
You could do a variation on this wreath for Halloween, Spring or other occasions just by changing the colors.
- Green 24-inch work wreath
- Green deco mesh
- Red ribbon
- Red tinsel roping
- Striped mesh ribbon in Christmas colors
Threading The Deco Mesh
- In the inner circle of the work wreath, attach the deco mesh by twisting the end of the mesh with a wire tie.
- Gather about 9 inches of mesh and twist it into the next wire tie.
- Fluff the mesh as you go.
- Repeat this process around the inner circle.
- After the inner circle is done, move to the outer circle and repeat the process all the way around.
- Roll out a further 2 to 3 feet of deco mesh and cut it off.
- Make a knot at the end of the deco mesh.
- Then make another loose knot at the top of the tail to make a fluffy ball shape.
Adding The Ribbon
- Make a bow with a red ribbon and place it on a wire tie in the middle at the top of the wreath. Twist to attach the bow.
- Twist the hanging red ribbon into nearby wire ties. Keep the ribbon to the outer edge.
- Trim the red ribbon to about the same length as the green mesh tail.
- Make a bow with the striped ribbon, place it on top of the red bow and attach it with a wire tie. Fluff the red and striped ribbons.
- With the rest of the striped ribbon, make bows and secure them with wire ties.
- Trim the ribbon when you get to the bottom, leaving enough ribbon to form a bow. Leave the length hanging.
Adding The Tinsel Roping
- Make loops with the tinsel roping.
- Trim, and twist to attach.
To Finish The Wreath
- Finish the tail by adding a bow.
- Trim the excess ribbon.
- Cut a length of tinsel roping and twist it around the center of the bow. Twist to tighten.
- Gather the ribbon ends at the bottom of the tail.
- Twist the bow around the bottom knot.