Hey there! Some links on this page are affiliate links which means that, if you choose to make a purchase, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Have you ever seen those Christmas trees in the shops that are made out of string that seems to stand up by itself?
This tutorial makes it very easy to make your own version, plus you can make any string shape once you know how.
You need to wait for a couple of days for your tree to dry, so don’t leave it until the last minute.
- String or yarn
- Mod Podge (or make your own with 2 parts white glue + 1 part water)
- Large paintbrush
- Oil, such as olive oil
- Cardstock paper
- Create a cone from the cardstock paper.
- Use a piece of tape to keep it in place.
- Cut the extra part off the bottom, making sure the base is even.
- Wrap a piece of foil around the cone. Make sure it’s smooth.
- Paint oil onto the foil.
- Cut several pieces of string.
- Dip the string in the mod podge, then run the string through your fingers to remove the excess glue.
- Wrap the string around the cone.
- Continue until you’re happy with the look.
- Leave it to dry completely for one to two days.
- When it’s dry, carefully separate the tree from the foil.
- Decorate the tree if you wish, or leave it as is.
You can make other string shapes, such as using a balloon for a ball shape or a jar for a cylinder shape.