I would never have thought that I could make paper snowflake decorations so easily. These decorations are beautiful and effective and are much more straightforward to make than I would have guessed.
It basically involves drawing lines on paper, cutting out the lines, and then gluing the strands together.
I’d suggest that once you have ruled the lines on one piece of paper, take a copy, or a photo, and use that as a master for your reference in the future. I imagine that after doing the ruling a few times, it might become second nature.
Children who are accomplished with scissors or teens and tweens might enjoy this project.
See what you think.
- A4 paper
- Staple remover, or you could use your fingers
To Cut Out 6 X 3.5-Inch Squares
- Looking at the landscape view, rule down on the right-hand side about an inch in.
- Looking at the portrait view, rule down the middle of the resulting section.
- Rule down about 1 inch from the left, mark in 3.5-inch sections.
- Rule down about 1 inch from the right, mark in 3.5-inch sections.
- Back to landscape view.
- From each 3.5 inch mark, rule down from the 1-inch line to the bottom.
- Cut them out.
Creating The Snowflake Effect
- Place a dot 1/5 inch from each corner on one piece of paper.
- Rule diagonally from the 1/5-inch mark to the corresponding 1/5-inch mark on the other side. You’ll see a diagonal stripe shape.
- On the right-hand side, place 6 dots at 2/5-inch intervals.
- Do the same on the left-hand side.
- Rule from each 2/5-inch mark to the outside of the center stripe.
- Place 6 2/5-inch dots on the other side.
- Rule from the dots to the outside of the stripe.
- You should end up with a shape that looks like a Christmas tree.
- Staple the other pieces of paper to it, placing the staple in the stripe.
- Cut each line up to the stripe.
- Remove the staple.
- Separate the pieces.
- Take the lowest strand and glue it to its corresponding strand on the other side.
- Do that for each strand, including the top.
- This is one section of the snowflake.
- Repeat for all the pieces of paper.
- Glue the bottom strand of one section to the bottom of another section, then glue another section to that piece, and so on. You’ll see the snowflake appearing before your eyes!
- Tie the twine to one of the top sections.