Pipe cleaners are easy to work with and very versatile. This tutorial shows how to make a Christmas tree out of pipe cleaners.
These trees are only a couple of inches high. They could be very cute table decorations or could even be used to decorate a wrapped gift. You could try doing a bigger version; the process will be the same.
You can use plain, glittered, or sparkly pipe cleaners, or you can decide on each tree which one you’d like to use.
The kids could help you with this; there is some scissor work and the use of glue, so this would be for older children.
- Green pipe cleaners, or
- Glittered green pipe cleaners
- Hot glue gun
- Green glittered foam paper
- Ribbons and beads to decorate
- Cut a half-circle out of the foam paper.
- Fold over and squeeze to mark the center.
- Roll the foam paper into a cone, using the center mark as a guide. Leave a little gap wide enough for a pipe cleaner in the top.
- Glue to secure the cone.
- Allow the glue to dry.
- Trim off the extra foam paper.
- Glue a piece of plain pipe cleaner into the top of the cone.
- Take a pipe cleaner, hold it in place at the top of the cone, and wind it in a spiral shape down the cone.
- Secure the other end of the pipe cleaner by pushing it through the paper and bending it on the inside of the cone.
- Take another pipe cleaner and continue from where you left off. Secure the start of the new pipe cleaner by pushing it through the paper and bending it on the inside of the cone.
Decorating Your Tree
- Secure the ribbon at the top and down through the spiral.
- Glue it in place at the bottom.
- Glue the beads on.